Welcome to my Travel Blog! (Created April 5th, 2007)

Following the footsteps of my dear friends Linda and Adam, I've decided to create a travel blog separate from my regular one here. It will be nice to have everything all in one place and more accessible too! I hope to backblog trips I've already taken as I make scrapbooks for them in "real life," but of course the point is to share trips as I go. I also believe it's important to give back to those countries that I have visited that are in need, and I'm documenting that here. Thanks for stopping by and I hope you enjoy the blog!

Friday, April 6, 2007

Hola Peru!

My mom and I traveled to Peru for 10 days in June 2005 for the wedding of our friend, Ana-Maria. Ana-Maria had been renting a room in my mother's house for a few months - that is, until her boyfriend Yves proposed and the plans changed! Getting everyone together in Peru for the wedding created a complete cultural and linguistic mix. You had Ana-Maria's parents who speak no English. Then Yves family (Belgian), they don't speak Spanish, but they do speak Dutch, English and I think some French. Then add in Ana-Maria's brother-in-law (English, but no Spanish) and my mom and I (English, French, and Spanish, though mine was limited). In retrospect, I have absolutely no idea how we managed but I do remember that Ana-Maria said her vows in Dutch, Yves said his in Spanish, and I read something in Spanish. Phew!

The wedding was in Lima, but we I also spent time in Cusco and toured Inca ruins Machu Picchu which were spectacular. Photos can be found here.

No comments: